Tripboba.com - You may have heard about eczema, or atopic dermatitis, which is one of the most common types of eczema.
You might also notice that eczema most commonly occurs on your skin. But eczema can actually develop on other parts of your body, such as the ears.
If you notice that your ear looks red, dry, flaky, and you feel itchy around or inside your ear, then there is a possibility that you’re having ear eczema.
What causes eczema to appear in your ear? To find out the answer, Tripboba will share about ear eczema, from the causes, symptoms, to the treatment.
What causes Eczema in your ear?
Ear eczema can be caused by different types of eczema. There are three types of eczema that can affect your ears, namely allergic eczema, seborrheic eczema, and asteatotic eczema.
1. Allergic Eczema
Allergic eczema occurs from contact with an irritant or some items that you’re allergic to. Hair products, makeup, headphones, cellphone, and even earrings might be the factors that can cause allergic eczema to your ears.
2. Seborrheic Eczema
Seborrheic eczema usually occurs on the oily areas of your body, like your scalp. Another area that can be affected by seborrheic eczema is the area behind your ears. Since this area tends to get oily, it can be easily affected by seborrheic eczema.
The causes of seborrheic eczema are still unsure, but it can be related to the oil produced by the glands on your skin that is affected by a fungus.
3. Asteatotic Eczema
Asteatotic eczema often happens when your skin is exposed to changes in the weather. The people who are vulnerable to this type of eczema are older people. There are also some factors that can make this condition worsen, like overwashing, indoor heating, and windy weather.
Ear Eczema Symptoms
There are some symptoms that you can see and feel if you’re having ear eczema, such as:
- Dry and scaly skin around your ear or even inside your ear canal
- Itchiness inside or around your ear canal
- Clear discharge from your ear
Other areas near the ear can also be affected by the symptoms of eczema, such as the area behind the ear and the crease between the ear and the head.
The symptoms of eczema are generally mild to moderate for some people. But you need to avoid scratching eczema because it can lead to skin inflammation and bleeding which will make eczema even worse.
Ear Eczema Treatment
Before receiving a treatment, you might need to get a proper diagnosis from a doctor through physical examination, symptoms, and a skin test. The doctor may recommend different treatment options or even a combination treatment that is best for your ear eczema. The treatment of eczema may include:
- Prescription cream to apply to the ear area. The creams that are used can be an antifungal cream, steroids, or barrier cream.
- Ear drops if the area that is infected by the eczema is the inside of your ear canal
- Systemic medications whose purpose is to reduce your immune system’s to triggers
- Phototherapy is a therapy that uses a machine to expose the affected areas of the skin to UVB light.
Lifestyle changing and home remedies can also be used to manage ear eczema. Here are the things that you can do at home to treat your ear eczema.
- Wash your ears using warm water each night. Make sure that the water is not too hot because it can irritate the skin even further.
- Apply moisturizers that are fragrant-free on your ear right after a shower to prevent your ear from drying and losing its moisture.
- Do not use jewelry that can irritate your ear.
- Wearing a headcover, a hat, or a neck scarf that can protect your ears from getting exposed to cold weather that can trigger eczema.
- Using anti-itch cream that contains hydrocortisone that can reduce swelling and itchiness on your ears.
- Use gentler cleaners or products that are appropriate for sensitive skin.
So, those are the things that you might want to know about ear eczema. Although the condition is not life-threatening, having ear eczema can be bothersome because of the itchiness. But with the right treatment, you will be able to manage your ear eczema and even clear them.
- 10 Most Followers on Instagram, Number 1 is Unexpected to be On The List!
- Copper Falls State Park: Make Your Camping and Fishing Experience Here Unregrettable!
- Indian Rock Beach: A Guideline to the Beautiful Beach for Vacation
- Clifty Falls State Park: Travel Guide for a Memorable Waterfalls Retreat
- Ichetucknee Springs State Park: A Guide to This Tubing Recreation