How to Fish in Minecraft: Follow this Tutorial!

How to Fish in Minecraft: Follow this Tutorial!
Pixabay - Photo by allinonemovie
SHARE - Once you start playing Minecraft, you will realize that there are many activities that your characters can do for a living. You can open a grocery shop, start a farm, and even fish. Fishing in Minecraft is one of the ways for your Minecraft character to gather food and find other special items. All you need to fish in Minecraft is a fishing rod.

After you own a fishing rod, you can go to an area where you can fish – of course, somewhere with water large enough to contain fishes. When fishing, your character’s position does not matter. You can be in the water, sitting on a boat, standing on land near the water, or even underwater.

If you’re looking for a tutorial of how to fish in Minecraft, look nowhere else! In this tutorial, Tripboba will give you a guide on how to fish in Minecraft, from how to make a fishing rod and how to fish itself. Scroll down to find out!

1. How to fish in Minecraft: Crafting a fishing rod

Youtube - Photo by MCBasic

Before you’re going fishing, you have to create a fishing rod. The materials you need to make a fishing rod are easy to obtain. They are as follows:

1. 3 wooden sticks

2. 2 strings

After you’ve obtained all the materials you need to make a fishing rod, here’s how you make the fishing rod itself:
Step 1. Open the crafting table. It’s the 3x3 grid where you can place the materials you possess.

Step 2. Place the materials onto the grid. Keep in mind that you can’t place them randomly. Instead, you will have to follow a certain pattern. in the first row of the grid, place 1 stick in the third box. In the second row, place 1 stick in the middle box and 1 string in the third box. Lastly, for the third row, place 1 stick in the first box and 1 string in the third box.

Step 3. After you’ve placed all the materials according to the pattern, an icon of fishing rod will appear in a box on the right side of the crafting table/menu. Click on it and move it to your inventory.

Step 4. Now your fishing rod is ready to be used!

You can also enchant a fishing rod with different kinds of enchantments. This will give your fishing rod a special ability. You can use these enchantment values in the /enchant command.

There are 5 enchantments you can apply to your fishing rod. They are ‘Curse of Vanishing’, ‘Luck of the Sea’, ‘Lure’, ‘Mending’, and ‘Unbreaking. To apply these enchantments, for example, Luck of the Sea, you can type

/enchant DigMinecraft luck_of_the_sea 3 (3 refers to the level of the enchantment)

2. How to fish in Minecraft: Baits

Youtube - Photo by MCBasic

Just like fishing in real life, you also have to put a bait to your fishing rod to make the fishes attracted and bite your bait. You can use a carrot as your bait. Here’s how to place the bait onto your fishing rod:

Step 1. Open your crafting table.

Step 2. Place the fishing rod in the second row, the first box of the grid.

Step 3. Place the carrot in the second row, middle box of the grid.

Step 4. A fishing rod with a carrot bait will appear in the right box of the crafting table. Move it to your inventory.

3. How to fish in Minecraft: how long does it take?

Pixabay - Photo by jovanmanic

Once the fishing rod’s bobber hits the water, the time for the fish to catch the bait ranges from 5 to 30 seconds. If you’re using Lure enchantment, the time will be reduced 5 seconds for each enchantment level. If it’s raining, the waiting time will be reduced to 20% on average.

If you’re fishing without skylight access, the waiting time will be doubled.
After a fish particle hooked to your fishing rod, you have 1-4 seconds to reel the fishing rod before the waiting time resets.

4. How to fish in Minecraft: fishing junks!

Pixabay - Photo by Christoph Sauer

A fishing rod can reel in junks instead of fish occasionally. If your fishing rod is unenchanted, the possibility of it to catch fish is 85% with a 10 % chance of catching junks and 5% of catching treasure. If you use ‘Luck of the Sea’ enchantment, your chance to catch treasures will increase.

There are 4 types of fish you can catch when fishing. They are raw cod, raw salmon, tropical fish, and pufferfish. For the treasures, you can catch a bow, enchanted book, fishing rod, name tag, nautilus shell, saddle, and lily pad. The rest of the items you catch would categorize as junks.

Tips: If you combine 2 broken fishing rods in a crafting table, you can make a more durable fishing rod than an ordinary one. Just place 2 damaged fishing rods side by side in the crafting table, second row first box and middle box.

That’s all about how to fish in Minecraft! We hope this tutorial works for you and you will catch lots of fish and treasures. Happy playing!


  1. 36 Questions That Lead to Love: With Tips How to Do It Properly!
  2. Best 75+ Who Knows Me Better Questions To Ask To Your Friends And Family!
  3. 110+ Patriotic Independence Day Greetings to Complete Your Independence Day Celebration
  4. 80+ Dad Jokes 2020 and Other Dad Jokes That Will Crack You Up
  5. 150+ Funny Questions to Ask on Instagram Story to Build A Deeper Relationship with Your Followers