What is the meaning of Words of Affirmation?
When people are in love, they tend to speak sweet words to their partners. This love language of couples is called "words of affirmation".
Well, some people may say that actions are better than words. But actually, words matter too, especially to express love. Whether it's spoken or written, those words can show what the heart feels.
Expressing words of affirmation can be as simple as saying "I'm grateful to have you", "I'm proud of you, or "Thanks for being born." To say those words, it doesn't take so much energy. But, it can be meaningful for certain people because your words will speak volumes to them.
Words of affirmation are part of love language that give significant effects for couples. If you get thrilled when they say sweet expressions or compliments, it's likely what is called as words of affirmation.
All of the words of encouragement, compliments, gratitude, and appreciation are the expressions of words affirmation. So, does your partner often express those words of affirmation?
If you or your partners are likely to express their love through written or spoken language, "words of affirmation” are you and your partner's love language. But, if it's still hard for you to say it, here are the things you need to know about words of affirmation.
How do you communicate words of affirmation?
Expressing words of affirmation can help your partner to recognize your feeling. These words can also cheer them up when they are feeling down. Here are some bits of help for you, if you still find it hard to express it:
1. Know Their FeelingIt's important to know your partner's feeling, so you can express what they really need. You can position yourself, how would it be if you are them, so you can figure out what they really need now. This one is crucial especially when they are feeling down.
2. Be the Original Version of YouBe sure that what you say is coming directly from your heart. Don't try to fake things because they can find out. Rather than cheering them, it will hurt them instead.
3. Express AppreciationYou can appreciate your partner for what they do with some positive words and comments. For example, you can appreciate your partner for making dinner for you or how they arrange a date for you. The important key you should know here is being specific about the things you are appreciated for. This will warm their heart.
4. Express Your LoveSome people may think that saying "I love you" too often can make them get tired or bored. While for words of affirmation people, they will never get tired of saying it. You can actually say "I love you" in different expressions as creative as you are.
5. Point Out Their StrengthsYou can shout out your partner's strength when they are feeling hopeless or down. This will give them encouragement and belief that they can do anything more than they know. This way, you can help them to know the value you can see in them.
8. Express Words of Affirmation as HabitNow that you have learned how and when to say them, make it a habit. This will flood up your relationship with good vibes. You can simply change the greetings such as when you say plainly "good morning, you can change it to "good morning, sweetheart". This word can boost their mood in the morning.
Why some people need words of affirmation?
Words of affirmation are spoken with values. Some people who habitually say them daily will find fulfillment through the positive words. To people who speak love language, just a single words of affirmation can strengthen themselves and also the relationship's bonding. They gravitate toward words of affirmation and positivity.
Not only for couples, but words of affirmation can also be uttered for your friends or kids. Here is some simple example of words of affirmation for your loved ones:
10 words of affirmation for wife or husband
- I’ve learned so much from you.
- You make me a better person.
- I trust you.
- If anyone can figure this out, it’s you.
- I have such a thoughtful husband.
- You look so nice!
- I love spending time with you.
- God couldn’t have given me a better husband.
- I’m blessed to have you in my life.
- Thank you for supporting me.
10 words of affirmation for kids
- I am so proud that you are my son/daughter.
- There is no one like you.
- You are so kind.
- You bring such life to the world around you.
- I am so thankful that you are part of our family.
- You bless my life each and every day.
- You bring the world around you to life.
- I love being your mom/dad.
- You have a bright future.
- You will always be my son/daughter.
10 words of affirmation for friends
- I‘ll always be in the front row supporting you.
- I’m so proud of how you handled that situation!
- Keep fighting!
- You have survived whatever was trying to destroy you.
- You are a true friend. I’m so thankful that you are in my life.
- I love spending time with you.
- I’m so glad we met.
- You are a true friend!
- I admire your inner strength.
- You are one of the strongest people I know.