60 Abuse Quotes on Emotional Abuse, Verbal Abuse, and Mental AbuseAug 02, 2021 10:44 PM Abuse Quotes - Photo by Sydney Sims from Unsplash
Tripboba.com - If you’ve been through this and still dealing with the trauma, we hope you’re doing okay and we wish nothing but good things for you. You can get through this and you are a survivor!
Abusing is never a good thing, whether it’s mental abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, or emotional abuse. Once you’re dealing with this, you should report the act as quickly as possible so you don’t need to suffer more. You can also call someone you know and tell them what you’re going through.
Though we know the experience can be linger, the following abuse quotes by Tripboba might help you a bit.
Emotional Abuse Quotes
Emotional abuse is a way of controlling others by using emotions to criticize, humiliate, blame, or manipulate others.
In general, a relationship is said to be emotionally abusive when there is a consistent pattern of abusive words and bullying behavior that lowers a person's self-esteem and damages their mental health.
We’re starting this abuse quotes writing with emotional abuse quotes that are coming from various sources of personalities who have been emotionally abused. Let’s have a look below:
- "It is not the the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind." - Aisha Mirza
- "Well, I went through some emotionally abusive relationships and allowed myself to not be properly respected as a lady, as a human being even, though I tried everything I knew to be a lady." - Gloria Gaynor
- "Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you're worthless... but you're not worthless, you're unappreciated." - Steve Maraboli
- "Screaming at children over their grades, especially to the point of the child's tears, is child abuse, pure and simple. It's not funny and it's not good parenting. It is a crushing, scarring, disastrous experience for the child. It isn't the least bit funny." - Ben Stein
- "There are far too many silent sufferers. Not because they don't yearn to reach out, but because they've tried and found no one who cares." - Richelle E. Goodrich
- "The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse." - Edmund Burke
- "Domestic abuse happens only in intimate, interdependent, long-term relationships - in other words, in families - the last place we would want or expect to find violence." - Leslie Morgan Steiner
- "The abuse dies in a day, but the denial slays the life of the people, and entombs the hope of the race." - Charles Bradlaugh
- "I think anybody who has been abused as a kid - and I was abused as a kid, by various people - will say it's irrational because violence is irrational." - Samantha Morton
- "Abuse if you slight it, will gradually die away; but if you show yourself irritated, you will be thought to have deserved it." - Tacitus
- "We should meet abuse by forbearance. Human nature is so constituted that if we take absolutely no notice of anger or abuse, the person indulging in it will soon weary of it and stop." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "There are more people abusive to others than lie open to abuse themselves; but the humor goes round, and he that laughs at me to-day will have somebody to laugh at him to-morrow." - Seneca
- "Abuse is the means in which violence retards love." - Inga Muscio
- "The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal." - Astrid Alauda
- "The results of any traumatic experience, such as abuse, can only be resolved by experiencing, articulating, and judging every facet of the original experience within a process of careful therapeutic disclosure." - Alice Miller
Verbal Abuse Quotes
Verbal abuse is when someone constantly uses words to frighten, demean, or control someone. Verbal and emotional abuse takes its toll and sometimes it can escalate to physical violence as well. If you are being verbally abused, know that it is not your fault.
After doing research on verbal abuse quotes, here is what Tripboba got for you:
- "Some guys like to undermine a girl's self-esteem with little verbal jabs. Eventually it all adds up. One bee sting doesn't hurt a horse, but enough bee stings can kill a horse." - Oliver Gaspirtz
- "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words they'll destroy me." - Cassandra Giovanni
- "By continually scolding someone, they in time become accustomed to it and despise your reproof." - PROVERBS
- “Just because it is not physical, it does not mean it is not abuse. Verbal and Psychological abuses are real things; their effect on the mind of the victim is perhaps more damaging on the mind of the abused than the open wounds that can be seen in physical abuse” ― Arti Honrao
- “Generally, in a verbally abusive relationship the abuser denies the abuse. Verbal abuse most often takes place behind closed doors. Physical abuse is always preceded by verbal abuse.” ― Patricia Evans
- “When anyone abuses you verbally, do not react. Because the very words that they are using against you are the very words that they are defining themselves as!” ― Avijeet Das
- “Domestic violence is never an acceptable form of communication.” ― Asa Don Brown
- "Abusive language and swearing are a legacy of slavery, humiliation, and disrespect for human dignity, one's own and that of other people." - Leon Trotsky
- "Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society." - John Adams
- "I simply do not think that yelling, swearing, threatening or belittling will get you to the place you want to be faster than kindness, understanding, patience and a little willingness to compromise." - Rachel Nichols
- “Verbal abuse is as damaging as physical abuse, and in some cases, it does even more damage to a child. Insulting names, degrading comments and constant criticism all leave deep emotional scars that hinder feelings of self-worth and personal agency.” ― Susan Forward
- “Usually when we think about violence, we think about interpersonal forms of violence, such as attempted murder or homicide, assault and battery, rape and sexual assault, robbery, kidnapping, and torture. Rarely do we think of suicide, anorexia, and self-flaggelation, or of verbal abuse, threats, and intimidation as forms of interpersonal violence.” ― Gregg Barak
- "Bless people when they revile you. Think how much good they are doing by helping to stamp out the false ego." - Swami Vivekananda
- "Verbal abuse is not a form on entertainment." - J. E. Brown
- "The words with which a child's heart is poisoned, whether through malice or through ignorance, remain branded in his memory, and sooner or later they burn his soul." - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Mental Abuse Quotes
Mental abuse is meant to damage your self-esteem and make you feel worse about yourself. It is also a form of manipulation and control. The effects of mental violence are as detrimental as the effects of physical violence.
If you want to know what others have to say about mental abuse, you can read these mental abuse quotes:
- "With emotional abuse, the insults, insinuations, criticism, and accusations slowly eat away at the victim’s self-esteem until he or she is incapable of judging a situation realistically. He or she may begin to believe that there is something wrong with them or even fear they are losing their mind. They have become so beaten down emotionally that they blame themselves for the abuse." ― Beverly Engel
- "The scars from mental cruelty can be as deep and long-lasting as wounds from punches or slaps but are often not as
- obvious. In fact, even among women who have experienced violence from a partner, half or more report that the man's emotional abuse is what is causing them the greatest harm." ― Lundy Bancroft
- "People say you need to be strong, smart, and lucky to survive hard times, war, a natural disaster, or physical torture. But I say emotional abuse—anxiety, fear, guilt, and degradation—is far worse and much harder to survive." ― Lisa See
- "Emotional abuse is any type of abuse that is not physical in nature. It can include everything from verbal abuse to the silent treatment, domination to subtle manipulation." ― Beverly Engel
- "Screaming at children over their grades, especially to the point of the child's tears, is child abuse, pure and simple. It's not funny and it's not good parenting. It is a crushing, scarring, disastrous experience for the child. It isn't the least bit funny." ― Ben Stein
- "Emotional abuse is like being continuously kicked in the shins. It can be worse than getting one punch in the face, and it cements itself." ― Ashley Banjo
- "It is impossible to correct abuses unless we know that theyre going on." ― Julian Assange
- "Abuse if you slight it, will gradually die away; but if you show yourself irritated, you will be thought to have deserved it." ― Tacitus
- "I think we start suffering as soon as we come out of the womb. I think that people tend to stereotype. When they think of suffering, they think of abuse - physical abuse, emotional abuse, poverty, that kind of thing. There's different levels of suffering. I don't think that it has to do with how much money you have - if you were raised in the ghetto or the Hamptons. For me it's more about perception: self-perception and how you perceive the world." ― Lucinda Williams
- "The results of any traumatic experience, such as abuse, can only be resolved by experiencing, articulating, and judging every facet of the original experience within a process of careful therapeutic disclosure." ― Alice Miller
- It is not okay for someone you like to treat you poorly and then pretend it didn’t happen, making you question your own grasp on reality. This dynamic is called gaslighting. It’s a common tactic of abusers to shift the focus of the blame from their bad behavior onto the person they are victimizing. One important side effect of gaslighting is having your memory “black out” after a fight (because your brain is trying to protect you from the cruelty of the abuse), which results in not being able to remember how an argument started. You may start to internalize the idea that there is something wrong with you and that you did something to provoke the situation as you’re increasingly beaten down and confused.” ― Shannon Weber
- “If you alter your behaviour because you are frightened of how your partner will react, you are being abused.” ― Sandra Horley
- “If the abuser is a parent or caretaker, the abuse may be the most attention the child has had from that person. To the child, withholding attention can be a powerful form of coercion. Sexual molestation may be accompanied by physical expressions of affection that are sometimes the only affection the child receives.” ― Rick Moskovitz
- "There are many types of emotional abuse but most is done in an attempt to control or subjugate another person. Emotional abuse is like brainwashing in that it systematically wears away at the victim's self-confidence, sense of self, trust in her perceptions and self-concept." ~ Beverly Engel
- "Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place where we find the deepest heartache." ― Iyanla Vanzant
Abuse Survivor Quotes
To be able to smile today, you are such an inspiration. You are a survivor and you are loved. Your bravery to tell your story is inspiring — you have decided to break the boundaries in yourself to tell what you need to tell.
Though it is not easy to read someone else’s experience of abuse, their recovery process might help you. Tripboba has come up with the idea of bringing abuse quotes as a survivor.
- “To be rendered powerless doesn’t destroy your humanity. Your resilience is your humanity. The only people who lose their humanity are those who believe they have the right to render another human being powerless. They are the weak. To yield and not break, that is incredible strength” — Hannah Gadsby
- “Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t” — Rikki Rogers
- “Your growth comes not as you work harder to get something you don’t have, but as you live in the reality of what you have already been given” — Nancy Guthrie
- “Trauma creates change you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose” — Michelle Rosenthall
- “And here you are living despite it all” — Rupi Kaur
- “If you want to know where to find your contribution to the world, look at your wounds. When you learn how to heal them, teach others” — Emily Maroutian
- “I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do” — Brené Brown
- “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become” — Carl Jung
- “Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong” — Sarah Dessen
- “There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a third power strong than both, that of women” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Survivor Psalm: I have been victimized. I was in a fight that was not a fair fight. I did not ask for the fight. I lost. There is no shame in losing such fights. I have reached the stage of survivor and am no longer a slave of victim status. I look back with sadness rather than hate. I look forward with hope rather than despair. I may never forget, but I need not constantly remember. I was a victim. I am a survivor” — Unknown
- “I am not a victim. No matter what I have been through, I’m still here. I have a history of victory” — Dr. Steve Maraooli
- “Our wounds are our sources of growth” — Rachel Naomi Remen
- “When I talk about my trauma I am not asking you to carry it or relieve me from it” — Blythe Baird
- “After a while I looked in the mirror and realized...wow, after all those hurts, scars, and bruises, after all of those trials, I really made it through. I did it. I survived that which was supposed to kill me. So, I straightened my crown... and walked away like a boss” — Unknown
These were abuse quotes from us for you to read. Again, we hope that you are doing okay and we know that you can get through this. Cheers!
- 110+ Patriotic Independence Day Greetings to Complete Your Independence Day Celebration
- 80+ Dad Jokes 2020 and Other Dad Jokes That Will Crack You Up
- 70+ Inspiring Christmas Trivia Questions For Family Gathering Game!
- 85 Hilarious Short People Jokes to Tell to Your Friends
- 75+ Best Funny Icebreaker Questions to Melt Away the Awkwardness