Tripboba.com - It’s no wonder that pasty is loved throughout Great Britain since this delicious baked pastry has long served as the country's culinary heritage. This pastry is particularly associated with Cornwall, a county in the UK, and the traditional Cornish pasty is filled with beef, sliced or diced potato, swede (a yellow turnip) and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper and baked.
Nowadays, many shops sell Cornish pasty with different fillings, and this snack has been brought and introduced to many other countries such as Australia, Mexico, the United States, and Ulster, resulting in many new variations of the pastry.
If you want to enjoy Cornish pasty yet can’t find it at the nearby bakery, fret not! You can make one at home with the Cornish pasty recipe you’d definitely love!
Easy Cornish pasty recipe
1. Traditional Cornish pasty recipe
Let’s make the pastry from scratch with this authentic Cornish pasty recipe! Gather the ingredients for the pastry and filling and you’re ready to go!
Ingredients for pastry:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 pinch salt
• 2 ounces butter (or half lard and half butter; cubed)
• 2 to 3 tablespoons water (cold)
Ingredients for filling:
• 1/2 cup rump steak (sirloin; cubed small)
• 1/2 cup potato (1/4-inch diced)
• 1/2 cup swede (rutabaga; 1/4-inch diced)
• 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
• Salt (to taste)
• Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
• 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, and butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of cold water to the mixture, stirring until the dough binds together. Add more cold water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the mixture is too dry.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Heat the oven to 425 °F (220 °C/Gas Mark 7). Meanwhile, divide the pastry into four equal pieces and roll each piece into rounds the size of a tea plate—approximately 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
5. In a large mixing bowl, mix the onion, potato, swede, and steak. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Divide the meat mixture evenly among each pastry circle and place it to one side. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Fold the circle in half over the filling so the two edges meet. Crimp the two edges together to create a tight seal. Brush each pasty all over with the remaining beaten egg.
8. Grease a baking sheet then place the pasties, baking for 45 minutes until golden brown.
9. Enjoy your Cornish pasty!
2. Vegetarian Cornish pasty recipe
If you love the meatless of the regular pasty, then this veggie Cornish pasty recipe is all yours!
• 1 recipe whole wheat pastry for a double crust
• ¼ cup butter
• 1 onion (thinly sliced)
• 1 carrot (sliced thin)
• 1 turnip (peeled and diced)
• 1 large potato (peeled and diced)
• ¼ pound mushrooms (chopped)
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 teaspoon yeast extract spread
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 egg
• ¼ pound shredded Cheddar cheese
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 egg (beaten)
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
2. Divide pastry dough into four equal portions, rolling each one out in a square shape. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, allow butter or margarine to melt over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes, until translucent and beginning to brown, followed by adding carrot, turnip, potato, mushrooms, and water. Lower heat and cover, allowing to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Dissolve yeast extract in milk in a small bowl. Whisk in 1 egg, stirring into cooked vegetables. Keep stirring until thickens, then add cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.
5. Place 1/4 of filling on one half of each pastry square. Fold the pasty diagonally and seal edges. Brush tops of pastry with beaten egg.
6. On a baking sheet, bake pasties in the oven for 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
7. Remove and serve.
3. Gluten free Cornish pasty recipe
If you prefer the gluten-free version of the snack and happened to have some leftover veggies from your last dinner, then this Cornish pasty recipe Jamie Oliver style could be the perfect option.
• 1 large leek
• 1 knob of unsalted butter
• 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 4 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 400 g leftover vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots, turnips, Brussels sprouts
• 1 tablespoon English mustard
• sea salt (for filling), 1 tsp salt (for pastry)
• freshly ground black pepper
• 60 g mature Cheddar cheese
• 1 large free-range egg (for filling), 1 large free-range egg for (pastry)
• 300 g gluten-free plain flour, plus extra for dusting (I used Doves Farm)
• 1 tsp xanthan gum
1. In a bowl, add flour, salt, and xanthan gum. In a small pan, bring to the boil the butter and 130ml water over low heat and bring to the boil; set aside. Beat the eggs and stir into the flour mixture. Gradually add the warm butter until it comes together into a rough dough, then bring it together with your hands. Set aside covered.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC/350 ºF/gas 4. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
3. Trim and finely chop the leek. In a medium pan, melt the butter over low heat, cooking the leek and thyme leaves for 10 to 12 minutes, or until softened, leaving to cool. Pick and roughly chop the parsley leaves, then add to a bowl with the leftover veggies, mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper, mashing well, stir in the leeks and grate in the cheese.
4. Lightly flour a surface and divide the pastry into 12 equal pieces on it, rolling each one out to roughly the thickness of a pound coin. Cut the pastry into circles (roughly 12cm in diameter).
5. On one half of each pastry round, slightly spread out a spoonful of the mixture. Beat the egg, then brush it around the edges. Gently fold the pastry over the filling, pressing the edges to seal. Place on the baking tray, brush with a little more egg, then bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden and crisp, brushing with a little more egg halfway through.
6. Serve hot the Cornish pasty.
- Wingaersheek Beach: An Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Destination for a Family Vacation
- Ocean Edge Resort: Experience an Unforgettable Stay in the Beautiful Cape Cod
- Soca Valley: Visit The Most Beautiful Travel Destination in Slovenia
- Ranthambore National Park: See The Beauty of Wildlife Closely!
- Surf and Sand Resort: Escape Your Busy Life to This Amazing Resort in California