Happy Birthday in Korean: 5 Ways to Say Happy Birthday Appropriately in KoreanFeb 12, 2021 11:50 PM happy birthday in Korean - Photo by Ami Suhzu from Pexels
Tripboba.com - Birthdays are very special events in Korean culture. Hence, the importance of birthday celebrations is practiced from the very beginning, because the largest celebration is a child's first birthday.
However, this practice of celebrating each other's birthdays continues. As in English, Korean people celebrate each other's birthdays by saying 'happy birthdays' to each other. Therefore, knowing how to say happy birthday in Korean is quite important in Korean culture.
In this article, Tripboba provides various expressions related to birthdays. Stay tuned!
1. Happy Birthday in Korean Formal
How to say happy birthday in Korean formally is 생신을 축하드립니다! (saengsineul chukadeurimnida).
You can use this phrase when saying 'happy birthday' in Korean to someone that is much older than you. It uses the formal words for birthday. You will use the Korean version of the happy birthday wishes to show great respect to the person you are talking to. You are able to use this with your grandparents or professors at your university.
2. How to Say Happy Birthday in Korean (Standard)happy birthday in Korean - Photo by 나오 임 from Pixabay
- 생일 축하합니다! (saengil chukahamnida)
- 생일 축하해요! (saengil chukahaeyo)
These are two defined phrases that can be used on many occasions. They are also the 'happy birthday' version that appears on birthday cards. The first version of the Korean song 'happy birthday'
The two versions are similar, only the 합니다 (hamnida) version is somewhat more formal. The word 축하 합니다 (chukahamnida) in 생일 축하 합니다 (saengil chukahamnida) means 'to give congratulations'.
You can say this word yourself in case you
want to congratulate someone on achieving something. Meanwhile, if you
only want to learn one way to say 'happy birthday' in Korean, then you
can learn this phrase.
3. Happy Birthday in Korean Language Informal
- 생일 축하해! (saengil chukahae)
can use this when you say 'happy birthday' in Korean to a close friend
of the same age. It is very similar to 생일 축하 해요 (saengnil chukahaeyo),
except the last '(yo)' is dropped at the end. This leads it much more
informal. Remember to use it wisely!
Some examples of people you probably use with this version of the phrase are your children, close friends, spouses, or siblings.
Although it is informal, there are several advantages to using the phrase 'happy birthday' appropriately. This shows a level of closeness that you won't get with other more formal versions.
4. Happy Birthday Song in Koreanhappy birthday in Korean - Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
It will be delightful to sing a song
of 'happy birthday' in Korean. Hence, Tripboba provides you with a
happy birthday song in Korean. It follows the same tune as 'happy
birthday' in English. Also, it is very easy to learn!
♩ ♪ ♫
사랑하는 (insert name) 씨
saranghaneun (insert name) ssi
5. Happy Birthday Wishes in Korean
case you have Korean colleagues or friends, you can say these phrases
to say 'happy birthday' in Korean along with warm wishes and messages.
- 생일 축하해, 친구. 당신의 미래에 대한 모든 최고의. 당신은 당신이 원하는 모든 것을 얻을 수 있습니다!
saengil chughahae, chingu. dangsinui milaee daehan modeun choegoui.
dangsineun dangsini wonhaneun modeun geoseul eodeul su issseubnida!
- English Translation: Happy birthday, my friend. All the best for your future. You can get everything you want!\
- 생일 축하 해요!! 하나님은 행복과 번영에 당신을 축복하시기를기도합니다! 너의 하루를 즐겨!
saengil chugha haeyo!! hananim-eun haengboggwa beonyeonge dangsin-eul
chugboghasigileulgidohabnida! neoui haluleul jeulgyeo!
- English Translation: Happy Birthday!! I pray to God to bless you with happiness and prosperity! Enjoy your day
- 나는 앞으로 당신에게 건강하고 풍요로운 삶을 기원합니다. 생일 친구!
- Pronunciation: naneun apeulo dangsinege geonganghago pungyoloun salmeul giwonhabnida. saengil chingu!
- English Translation: I wish you a healthy and prosperous life in the future. Happy Birthday, friend!
- 36 Questions That Lead to Love: With Tips How to Do It Properly!
- Best 75+ Who Knows Me Better Questions To Ask To Your Friends And Family!
- 80+ Dad Jokes 2020 and Other Dad Jokes That Will Crack You Up
- 150+ Funny Questions to Ask on Instagram Story to Build A Deeper Relationship with Your Followers
- 100 Easy General Knowledge Questions and Answers for Kids Between the Age of 4-15 Years!